GRASP Neuroscience Talk
A neuroscience evening organised by GRASP and the Glia Club
- Monday the 8th of September
- Starting at 4pm
- Clifford Allbutt Building, Cambridge Biomedical Campus, Hills Road
- Professor Heidi Johansen-Berg, UCL - “Imaging experience dependent structural plasticity”
- Professor William Richardson, UCL - “Myelin, movement and motor skills”
Advertising poster can be seen here.
The publishing process from a scientist’s perspective
An evening seminar of 2 talks, followed by a commentary, discussion and drinks reception.
- Tuesday 18 Feb 2014
- The Bateman Auditorium of Gonville and Caius College, Trinity St, Cambridge CB2 1TA, with the drinks reception in the Green Room.
- Dr. Jyoti Nangalia, PhD Student in the CIMR,recently published in NEJM
- Dr. Helene Gautier, Postdoctoral fellow in PDN, recently submitted a manuscript to Science
With the editor's perspective provided by:
- Sarah Allan, Deputy Editor for Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology
This evening seminar will provide an insight into the full publishing process, from experimental design through to journal selection and manuscript preparation and submission. The talks will be given by two early-career scientists, both of whom have recently gone through this process. They will describe their experiences, the decisions made, difficulties faced and lessons learnt. Their talks will be followed by a commentary by Dr. Sarah Allan, Deputy Editor for Lancet Diabetes and Endocrinology, who will approach the subject from the other side of the coin; that of the editor. The evening will end with a drinks reception, providing the opportunity for ongoing discussions with the speakers and attendees.
Attendants must book a place.
Jorge Cham (PhD Comics) Lecture & First GRASP Annual Dinner
- 6 March 2014
- Full details to be confirmed soon
The Publishing Culture in the Life Sciences
Panel discussion followed by drinks reception 'The Publishing Culture in the Life Sciences’.
- Tue 24 Sep 2013
- 18:30 - 20:30
- Coleridge Room, Jesus College
Speaker to include:
- Dr Nikolaus Kriegeskorte
- Prof Peter Lawrence
- Dr David Kent
- Dr John Stockley
- Prof Gillian Griffiths
Publishing your research: Impact factors and open access publishing
A seminar of two talks followed by group discussion on the publishing topics of impact factors and open access publishing.
- Tuesday 30 July 2013
- 18:15 - 20:15
- St John's College, Divinity School
- Nicola McCarthy, Chief editor, Nature Reviews Cancer
- Iain Hrynaszkiewicz, Outreach Director, Faculty of 1000
After talk discussion also including:
- Peter Morgan, Head of Medical and Science Libraries
Keys to successfully publishing and portraying your research
- Tuesday 25 June 2013
- 18:30 - 20:30
- St Catherine's College
A seminar of two talks followed by group discussion to look at:
- Effective publishing of data, including the expected quality of the work, means of attracting a reviewer’s attention, and choosing the appropriate journal for your work
- The implications of science portrayal by the media
- Encouraging networking and discussions across the GSLS departments
- Improving awareness of GRASP within the GSLS
- Selina Hawkins, The Science Media Centre "Engaging with the News Media; experience from the front line"
- Peter Stern, Editor at Science "The manuscript selection process at SCIENCE"