Starting in October 2017
The Cambridge Earth System Sciences (ESS) NERC DTP provides PhD training across NERC science. Embedded in the outstanding research environment of the University of Cambridge and the British Antarctic Survey (BAS), it is organised around three major research themes: Solid Earth, Climate and Biology.
The CambridgeESS DTP is offering more than 15 fully-funded PhD studentships to start in October 2017. Hosting partners in Cambridge are:
- The Department of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics
- The Department of Archaeology & Anthropology
- The British Antarctic Survey
- The Department of Chemistry
- The Department of Earth Sciences
- The Department of Geography
- The Department of Plant Sciences
- The Department of Zoology
Students in the CambridgeESS cohort engage in research projects of global significance across the physical, chemical and biological sciences, and graduate with strong numerical and modelling skills. A network of links within national and international science, industry and government prepares students to become leaders in their chosen fields.
Applicants should have:
- at least a 2.1 in an Honours degree from a UK University or equivalent standard from an EU or Overseas University (e.g. CGPA 3.5/4.0) in a relevant subject.
- two outstanding references from senior University staff ideally at your most recent University
- fluency in the English language – further information on the University’s requirements can be viewed here http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/international-students/competence-english/will-i-have-language-requirement
For more details on the University’s academic requirements see http://www.graduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/entry-requirements
UK and EU students who meet the RCUK residency requirements will be eligible for a full NERC studentship. Students from EU countries who do not meet the residency requirements may still be eligible for a fees-only award. For full details on eligibility see
For a full list of projects and information on how to apply see the CambridgeESS DTP website at www.cam.ac.uk/ess. The application deadline is Wednesday 4 January 2017. If you are interested in working with a particular supervisor or on a particular topic, please see our searchable list of projects at http://essdtp.esc.cam.ac.uk/programme/project-list