It is never to early to start thinking about managing your career, whether your aspirations lie within academia or outside academia.
The University has an outstanding Careers Service that is freely available to you. Their key resources for you are:
- Vast and comprehensive website with information about most career sectors
- Library you can visit with further information
- Staff who can give you one-to-one advice about specfics such as CVs, coverletters and interviews, as well as broader discussions about careers
- Email notification of events and vacancies
- GRADlink network of alumni who are searchable by career sector and are available to answer you questions by email.
All of these can be found through their website link above.
They also run a number of sessions that are tailored for postgraduates in the life sciences:
- Interview skills (yearly [usually February])
- CV workshop (termly)
- Career options (termly)
You will be able to find out about these events and more at their What's On webpage.